During December 1780, Major General Nathanael Greene, commander of the Southern Army, brought a number of troops to a "camp of repose" near this spot. Here he hoped for abundant food and improvement of strength, discipline, and spirit of his men. Greene departed camp on January 28, 1781 to resume active campaigning against the British.
Units of the Union Army under Maj. Gen. Wm. T. Sherman crossed the Pee Dee River near here during March, 1865, leaving Cheraw for N.C. The 17th Corps advanced to and occupied Bennettsville; the 15th Corps marched about 4 miles and camped at Harrington's Plantation; the 14th and 20th Corps crossed the river several miles north of here at Pegues' Crossing.