This area become part of St. David's Parish in 1768, Cheraws District in 1769, and then Darlington County on March 12, 1785. In 1800 Darlington became a circuit court district, and again a county in 1868. Extensive territory was lost in 1888 and 1902 with the creation of new counties.
Darlington County Courthouse
The first courthouse at this site was destroyed by fire March 19, 1806. A later building, thought to have been designed by architect Robert Mills, burned in 1866 and in 1873 was rebuilt. The subsequent courthouse, built 1903-1904, was in use until 1964 when the present structure was completed.