When the Alexandria, Loudoun, & Hampshire Railroad (later W&OD) arrived on May 17, 1860, Leesburg realized a dream. A local newspaper praised the railroad, which "throws us within an hour or two's ride of the cities of the seaboard, and opens up a new avenue of commerce and trade."
At first a single depot, located 0.2 mile east of here, served passengers and freight. In 1887 the railroad opened a separate passenger station here at King Street. It remained in use until passenger service ended in 1951.
As at other towns along the line, Leesburg stationmasters played a crucial role in the smooth operation of the line. They sold tickets, operated the telegraph, and filled engines' water tanks. Local resident Frank Raflo recalled that when a train came the stationmaster blocked street traffic "with a not-too-large signal which read simply ?STOP.' "