In the years prior to the Revolutionary War, John Aiken commenced the operation of a tavern and storehouse at this location near the intersection of two of the major roadways of the Delmarva Peninsula. Aided by their proximity to this important crossroads, Aiken's businesses prospered and a small village was established as a result. Variously known as Aiken's Tavern, or Aiken Town, the community became known as Glasgow in the early 19th century. In 1977, the Aiken's Tavern Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Included are several properties with links to the early history and development of Glasgow. Of particular note is the Pencader Presbyterian Church, which was established by Welsh settlers in the early 18th century. The present church building was built in 1852. Also included in the District is The Manse, the former Presbyterian parsonage, constructed circa 1856. Opposite the church is the Middleton House and Store, built by merchant Robert Middleton in the late 1700s. The Aiken's Tavern Historic District also includes the cemetery and former site of Glasgow Methodist Church and Mechanics Row, a group of connected dwellings that were constructed circa 1800 as homes for local tradesmen.