In 1764, Thomas Green sold a one-quarter acre lot at this location to his grandson, Charles Green. Some time thereafter, Charles established a facility for the manufacturing of redware pottery on this site. The business is known to have been in operation by the 1780s. Redware is made from clay with high amounts of iron oxide, giving a brick red color to the finished product. Archaeological evidence indicates that the producers of this pottery included cups, mugs, bowls, plates, pitchers, jugs, bottles, milk, pans, butter pots, and chamber pots, some decorated with trailed slip. Upon the death of Charles Green in 1809, responsibility for conducting the business passed to his son William Green, who continued to manufacture pottery here until circa 1817. Between 1817-1822, William's brother Daniel D. Green established a pottery nearby, on the opposite side of North Main Street. After Daniel's death in 1826, the Kent County Orphans Court hired potter Abraham Ritchie to continue the operation of the business to generate income for Daniel's widow and children. The pottery was closed when descendants sold the land in 1840.