Growth and ConsolidationThe 1752 Henrico Courthouse, a colonial-style brick structure, was built in Richmond in the middle of 22nd and East Main streets. The Declaration of Independence was read publicly for the first time from its steps on August 5, 1776. In 1824, the courthouse was in need of repair and a committee decided to completely rebuild the structure. It opened in November of 1825 and stood in the middle of 22nd Street like its predecessor. It was described as a building 70 by 46 feet, one story high, with gallery around the courtroom. It was made of brick and was fronted by a Doric portico with four columns. In 1843, the courthouse was dismantled and rebuilt on the corner of 22nd and East Main streets opening the road to traffic. This structure was damaged during the Civil War in the evacuation fire of April 1865. It was replaced in 1896 by a new courthouse designed to house all of the county's offices. Annexation by the City of Richmond expanded beyond the boundaries of the courthouse which made it necessary to declare the courthouse parcel part of Henrico in order to maintain its county jurisdiction.
|Placed By||County of Henrico Division of Recreation and Parks|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 at 1:53am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 277874 N 4167609|
|Decimal Degrees||37.62878333, -77.51713333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 37.727', W 77° 31.028'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 37' 43.62" N, 77° 31' 1.68" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 4309-4351 E Parham Rd, Henrico VA 23228, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.