Spencer Artillery Range
— ca. 1941-1946 —In January 1941, the Army began construction of the 30,617-acre Spencer Artillery Range as an annex of Camp Forrest. Intended as a firing range for heavy artillery, it was utilized by other units, including infantry. The 2nd Ranger Battalion practiced rappelling and bluff scaling here on the Rocky River Gulf. During the D-Day invasion, that same battalion scaled the bluffs at Point du Hoc near Omaha Beach in Normandy.
|Marker Number||2C 25|
|Placed By||Tennessee Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 19th, 2014 at 2:21pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 638539 N 3939257|
|Decimal Degrees||35.58735000, -85.47083333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 35.241', W 85° 28.25'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 35' 14.46" N, 85° 28' 15.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2292 Unnamed Road, Spencer TN 38585, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.