1898-1914This block long group of brick buildings was originally known the Brown Brothers' Business Block. It earned the nickname "Machinery Row" when several agricultural implement branch houses located here, part of the lively railroad shipping business that flourished in Madison in the early 1900s. This substantial Romanesque Revival block was designed by the prominent local architectural firm Conover and Porter. It was built gradually, in sections, replacing older wooden structures and an ice house.
|Series||This marker is part of the Wisconsin: Madison Landmarks Commission series|
|Placed By||The Madison Landmarks Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 6:17am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 306635 N 4772000|
|Decimal Degrees||43.07606667, -89.37521667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 4.564', W 89° 22.513'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 4' 33.84" N, 89° 22' 30.78" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 609 Williamson St, Madison WI 53703, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.