July 20, 1864. Gen. J. W. Geary's 2d div., 20th A.C. [US] occupied this ridge which was some 300 yds. in advance of Williams' 1st div. on his rt., & Ward's 3d, on his left — all facing southward.
His three brigades: Candy's, Jones' & Ireland's were massed on the ridge together with Aleshire's artillery. These troops were from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania & Ohio; most of them had served under Geary at Gettysburg.
This commanding ridge, overlook Tanyard Branch valley, was the critical point of the Federal position — the objective of Confederate assaults by Walthall's & Loring's divs. of Stewart's A.C. [CS] on the Federal center.