In 1904 the club changed its name to "The Maids and Matrons Library Club" and rescinded its rule prohibiting married members in order that several of its original founders who had since married could continue in the organization. The name of the club was changed once more in 1916 to the "Library Study Club." In 1936 the members formed a club for younger women called "The Thalian Study Club."
The size of the library's holdings continued to grow so that by 1966 the club had for some years required the services of a paid librarian. That year the club donated all of its books and furnishings to the City of Rusk. In 1969 they became part of the permanent collection at the newly constructed Singletary Memorial Library building. The Library Study Club and its offspring the Thalian Club continued to support the Rusk Community Library.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 10:20am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 296577 N 3519832|
|Decimal Degrees||31.79598333, -95.14866667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 47.759', W 95° 8.92'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 47' 45.54" N, 95° 8' 55.20" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||903, 430|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 236-298 E 6th St, Rusk TX 75785, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.