Incorporated 1898In 1887, the Metropolitan Investment and Building Company laid out the town, named after Robert W. Garrett, President of the B. & O. Railroad. It was to be primarily residential, a short commuter train ride to Washington, D.C. Now, over one hundred years later, it remains residential with several small commercial firms located in the town-owned, Penn Place, a Post Office to which residents still come to pick up their mail, and a Town Hall, built in 1897 as a chapel. In 1975, the town was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
|Series||This marker is part of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) series|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 10:52pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 318826 N 4323117|
|Decimal Degrees||39.03835000, -77.09330000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 2.301', W 77° 5.598'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 2' 18.06" N, 77° 5' 35.88" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 17727-17799 Rokeby Ave, Garrett Park MD 20896, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.