R. E. Lee Camp, No.1
— Confederate Soldiers' Home —Between 1885 and 1941 the present-day location of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts was the site of a large residential complex for poor and infirm Confederate veterans of the Civil War. Established by R. E. Lee Camp, No. 1, Confederate Veterans, the camp was built with private funds, including donations from former Confederate and Union soldiers alike. At peak occupancy, residents numbered just over three hundred; altogether a total of nearly three thousand veterans from thirty-three states called the camp home. From the camp's earliest years, the Commonwealth of Virginia helped fund the institution. When the last resident died in 1941, the Commonwealth gained ownership of the site and designated it as the Confederate Memorial Park.
|Placed By||Virginia Museum of Fine Arts|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 12th, 2014 at 6:08am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 281303 N 4159487|
|Decimal Degrees||37.55646667, -77.47588333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 33.388', W 77° 28.553'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 33' 23.28" N, 77° 28' 33.18" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 215 N Sheppard St, Richmond VA 23221, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.