1900 - 2000Attracted by the availability of raw materials and railroad transportation, the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company (PPG) built a plant here in 1899 to make soda ash for the company's glassmaking operations. This plant began production in 1900 as the Columbia Chemical Company and represents the beginning of PPG's diversified chemical manufacturing operations. During the 20th century this plant operated the world's deepest (at 2,200 feet) limestone mine and manufactured commodity chemicals such as chlorine, caustic soda, and calcium chloride. By 2000, manufacture of specialty chemicals for the optical, pharmaceutical, printing, and rubber industries superseded mining and commodity chemical manufacturing. PPG's reclamation of its former soda ash waste disposal sites, known as "lime lakes," has won recognition for environmental stewardship.
|Series||This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series|
|Placed By||PPG Industries and The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 10:34am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 447931 N 4539176|
|Decimal Degrees||41.00211667, -81.61913333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 0.127', W 81° 37.148'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 0' 7.62" N, 81° 37' 8.88" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 298-344 Hudson Run Rd, Barberton OH 44203, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.