James Miles, David Mason and John Ferguson arrived in 1842. Ferguson purchased a portion of the mill privilege. He built a gristmill in 1844 and new sawmill in 1845. This supplied much of the lumber for the Watertown Plank Road. A log school was built in 1843. Norwegians began calling the settlement Newberg, meaning "New Town".
The Lutheran Church was organized in 1844. Leonard Redua operated the first store in 1845 in his log home. The post office was established there in 1858, and Newberg was changed to Stone Bank. The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1852. A frame school was built in 1858 on land donated by Rockwell where the present school stands. The farming community had a blacksmith, wagon, harness, cooper, carpenter, cobbler, barber and tailor shops, livery stable, creamery, general stores and social halls. Hotels and resorts soon followed on the beautiful lakes surrounding Stone Bank. Today Stone Bank is an enterprising and growing residential community.
|Placed By||Waukesha County Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 6:32pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 385403 N 4777593|
|Decimal Degrees||43.14241667, -88.40920000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 8.545', W 88° 24.552'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 8' 32.70" N, 88° 24' 33.12" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||262, 920|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 140 County Rd K, Oconomowoc WI 53066, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.