Howard's Army of the Tenn. 3 corps), which had fought E. of Atlanta July 22, were shifted to this area West of the city, July 27, 28, 1864. Dodge's 16th and Blair's 17th A.C. were aligned along Chapel Rd. which, in 1864, led S.W. directly to Ezra Ch. (MOZLEY PARK), where the line was prolonged westward by the 15th corps.
This shift of Federal forces was a thrust at the 2 railroads entering the city from the S.W. at East Point. After the Battle of Ezra Church, July 28, siege operations were pushed E. toward Atlanta by these troops, together with the 14th and 23d corps, which prolonged the line S. to the Campbellton Road.