King William Training School was erected here in 1922-23 on the site of the King William Academy (1903-22). The Rosenwald Foundation, which built more than 5,300 black schools in the South, the African American community, and the county funded the school. Constructed as a Rosenwald Foundation Plan 4A building, it has natural lighting, four classrooms with a fifth added in 1927, and an auditorium, library, and office. The school provided a formal education in grades one through twelve. It served as a high school until 1952 and an elementary school until 1961. The Pamunkey Baptist Association bought the King William Training School in 1962.