First Log CabinHere in April 1821, three years after the Jackson Purchase, the first home, a round-log cabin, was built by James and William Pore. Only a few Indians remained. James Davis, his wife and three sons, built a shelter soon after. In the next five years a score or more settled along the Tennessee River. Town was first named Pekin. Over
First Frame HouseWas built by Albert Hayes in 1826 a few feet south of here. It had three rooms, was "quite attractive in those days" and bore the name "Fox House". Tradition is that Gen. William Clark stayed here when he platted town, May 26, 1827, and changed its name, Pekin to Paducah, in honor of Chief Paducke. Over.
Marker by Greater Paducah Chamber of Commerce