In the winter of 1904, the first Fairbanks Public School was opened. Ten students finished the spring term. In the fall of 1905, the school enrolled 50 students. The next year, 150 students attended.Construction of a much-needed new school on the corner to Turner and Cushman streets between Eighth and Ninth avenues, was started in the last half of October 1907. The school was completed the night before it opened on December 3. Designed by Aloysius Friedrich, it was the pride of the community. The wooden building was used until December 4, 1932, when it was destroyed by fire.In 1934 the Art Deco building known as "Old Main" was built. Its wings were added later. The school served children until 1989, and played an important part in the history of the community and education in Alaska. "Old Main," which now house City Hall, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.