From 1870 through the 1800s, Henry Piper, one of Old Town's early entrepreneurs, operated a successful bakery in a narrow alley. Today, the building at Wells and North is known as Piper's Alley. The existing house located at 1546 North Wells was built in 1874 and was the site of a coal yard. Farmers returning home from doing business downtown would stop and water their horses at a trough provided in the yard. In the 1920s, German carpenter Louis Seipp, operated his wood working business from the site and raised his family in the home. The contemporary entrepreneur spirit of Old Town is represented by the Up Down Tobacco Shop, which opened in 1963. Located at 1550 North Wells, the Up Down Tobacco Shop is an Old Town institution specializing in fine tobacco.