This Tablet is Erected in Commemoration
of the patriotic work of the Women's Relief Corps, Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic, in the preservation and improvement of this historic site, comprising 87 acres, of which 72.5 acres were acquired in 1896 by deed of gift from the Grand Army of the Republic of Georgia, and 14.5 acres were acquired by the Woman's Relief Corps by purchase to complete the tract.
The Woman's Relief Corps was incorporated under the Laws of Ohio, for charitable and patriotic purposes, on February 3, 1904, by the following named women: Sarah D. Winans, Jennie S. Wright, Kate B. Sherwood, Cora Day Young, Mary C. Wentzel, Mary M. North, Sarah E. Phillips, Lizabeth A. Turner, Clara Barton, and Allaseba M. Bliss.
During the convention held in September, 1908, the Woman's Relief Corps, having improved and cared for these grounds at its own expense, formally tendered the land to the United States Government as a gift, free of all indebtedness: and in pursuance of the act of Congress, approved March 2, 1910, the Secretary of War was authorized and directed to accept the land so tendered with all improvements thereon.
Board of Trustees 1909-1910
Sarah D. Winans, Chairman
Abbie A. Adams
Allaseba M. Bliss
Sarah E. Fuller
Carrie R. Read
Committee on Transfer 1909-1910
Kate E. Jones, Chairman
Kate B. Sherwood
Mary L. Gilman
Mary M. North