While Fort Adams was in active service from 1842 to 1950, the United States flag flew proudly over the ramparts. When the last U.S. Army unit departed our flag was hauled down, and there was no longer a flagpole within the Fort proper. During 2001 the Fort Adams Trust was assisted by Leadership Rhode Island's Phi Class in an effort to re-erect the flagpole and fly the national colors where they had been historically located. On October 28, 2001 we raised our flag high above the granite walls of Fort Adams in a stirring ceremony attended by military and militia units, school groups, veterans and service organizations, scouts, and many proud, patriotic citizens of Rhode Island.
The earliest flagpole was fastened to the interior wall of the northeast demibastion and towered over ninety feet above the parade ground. Photo above shows the flagpole in 1865, during the Civil War.
By the early 1900s, another flagpole had been affixed to the west wall ramparts, possibly to allow the flag to be seen by approaching vessels in Narragansett Bay. Historic postcard above shows the height of the pole.
[ Along Bottom of Marker : ]
Sponsors of Fort Adams Historic Flag Raining
Gold Level Sponsors
State of Rhode Island
Leadership Rhode Island - Phi Class of 2001
Newport Collaborative Architects, Inc.
The Newport Daily News
Ocean State Charities Trust
The Providence Journal Co.
Silver Level Sponsors
The Amica Companies
Backyard Productions West
Bank of Newport
The Beacon Mutual Insurance Company
FleetBoston Financial Group
Mad McLaughlin & Moran, Inc.
Newport Grand Jai Alai
Newport Tent Co., Inc.
People's Credit Union
Rhode Island Public Transit Authority
Rhode Island Turnpike & Bridge Authority