The community of Lutie, named for early settler Lutie Gresham Templeton. Traces its history to 1909. Two years previously, local citizens had formed the Pleasant Valley School about one mile northeast of the townsite. Community leaders moved the school to Lutie in 1912, renamed it, and added a room. A third room was added in 1929, and the school continued to serve area children until 1937, when it consolidated with the school in Samnorwood (4 mi. NW). Land where the school was located reverted back to the family of the original donor, John Henry Young, Sr. (1874-1950).