1852 - 1907The Baptist Bethel Association, meeting in Benevolence in 1851, resolved to undertake "The Creation of an Educational Institution for Females, to be called THE BAPTIST FEMALE COLLEGE OF SOUTHWESTERN GEORGIA." This site, in the little village of Villa Nova, was chosen for its location. Rev. Thos. Muse served two years as Agent, raising funds, promoting plans, shaping policies. A handsome, colonnaded building was erected here and Rev. A. T. Holmes made first President. School opened in the Fall of 1852. The first Trustees were Jesse H. Campbell, James Clark, Francis Seig, William Janes, Ebenezer Warren, Roger Dickinson, John Wilson, William Wade, Joel Perry, Thomas Muse, William L. Crawford, Richard Thornton, John Fletcher, David Vason, Jesse Stallings. Closed by war, 1863, it served as the Hill Hospital of the Confederacy (1864-65). In 1880's as a branch of Georgia's University system, it became The Bethel Agricultural and Military College. Destroyed by fire in 1901, this property was sold, another site bought and a new building erected. In 1907, Bethel Association sold that second property to the City of Cuthbert for operation of Cuthbert's first Public School.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, September 4th, 2014 at 7:45pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16R E 708148 N 3517718|
|Decimal Degrees||31.77606667, -84.80190000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 46.564', W 84° 48.114'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 46' 33.84" N, 84° 48' 6.84" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 210-506 Villa Nova St, Cuthbert GA 39840, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.