Approximately one mile east at the junction of U.S. Route 17 and U.S. Route 1 is the town of Falmouth, which was established at the falls of the Rappahannock River and incorporated in 1727. Although a small town, Falmouth was one of the most significant parts and business centers in Virginia during the 18th and early 19th centuries. It was a prosperous commercial hub that include tobacco and cotton warehouses, grist and timber mills, mercantile, taverns, and nail factory, a church, a canal, a ferry, and James Hunter's Iron Works, the largest iron manufacturing facility in the English colonies. Falmouth was also home to Moncure Conway, a prominent southern abolitionist. Four large plantations created the eastern, western, and northern boundaries of Falmouth - Belmont, Clearview, Carlton, and Chatham. Despite changes brought by time and progress, Falmouth remains a well-preserved collection of historic buildings and archaeological sites.