On April 11, 1903, the commissioners of the Town of Georgetown held a public meeting to organize a fire company for the community. The effort was in response to the demands of businessmen and homeowners who had experienced rising insurance costs due to the many destructive fires which had plagued Georgetown and other neighboring communities. An 1883 Charles T. Holloway hand drawn ladder wagon was obtained and stored in the company's first fire station, a frame structure on South Race Street. Their first motorized truck was a 1922 American LaFrance Type 75 Pumper, which was delivered by railcar. The Georgetown Fire Company was formally incorporated on September 26, 1922. Desiring more space, the company purchased a site on the east side of the Public Square in 1926. After years of continued growth, the demand for a new fire station resulted in the construction of the present building in 1966.
In 1937 the company established an annual fund-raising effort known as the "Oyster Eat." Hundreds gather here each February to enjoy the food and fellowship of the event, which has been recognized by the United States Congress for its historical and cultural significance.