In memory of
Capt. Curtis Blakeman
Just north of here, in 1819, a group of sea captains,
Blakeman, Allen, Breath, Deselherst, and Mead
from Connecticut, arrived and built log cabins,
naming the settlement Marine.
Captain Curtis Blakeman,
our great, great, great grandfather,
built an ox driven mill in 1823,
served in the Illinois state legislature as a Whig, 1822-1826.
He, his wife, and daughter, along with many others,
died in the 1833 cholera epidemic and are buried here.
Curtis Blakeman Jr. was also a legislature
1842-1844 and 1846-1848. Charter member
of the Marine Masonic Lodge in 1859.
Captain in the Civil War.
Built the Cable Mill in 1866.