In 1864, traveling in an ox cart, Dr. Robert M. Moore left his family in Walton County, Georgia, and journeyed to Blount County, Alabama. Finding fertile land, he returned to Walton County and persuaded his wife to move to Blount County with him. In 1863, his wife and 10 children: William T., Zachariah C., Robert B., David S., B. Martin, John M., Jimmy H., D. Marion, Nancy C., and Sally, traveled in a covered wagon and settled in Moore's section of land. All of the children married. As each child married, he or she was given a tract of land. David married Susan Nunnally. In 1883, Dr. Moore named the community where he built first house, Clarence, in honor of his oldest son. Dr. Moore's office and drugstore were located in his home. His sons, David Jr. and Joe both became medical doctors. They and another doctor became partners and founded South Highland Hospital in Birmingham. In 1923, when Susan Moore died, David Moore Jr., and Joe were moved at their mother's funeral to donate monies for the construction of a consolidated school in her honor. Susan Moore School was named. Robert B. Moore's oldest son William Augustus was the first principal of Susan Moore High School.
The other sons became successful farmers and the daughters married farmers. Many descendants still live in this area and have made civic contributions to the community in many ways. Through the early years, farming was the main occupation of the residents. Corn and cotton were the money crops. The community of Clarence had a gin, sawmill, and a sorghum mill. Grocery stores were owned by various families throughout the community. On November 18, 1982, the residents of the community of Clarence decided to hold an election. The following month on December 21, an election was held to elect the council. Elected to the first council were J. L. Painter, J. M. Ballard, J. M. Jackson, R. F. Bryan, and W. F. Smallwood. The council members elected T. R. Jackson as mayor. The council voted on naming the town Susan Moore. The town was incorporated with 960 acres and a population of 351. The first clerk was Lucille Holmes.