Ebenezer A.M.E. is Baltimore;s oldest standing church built by a black organization. It stands on the site of an earlier church building that was erected in 1848 by the same congregation (first organized in 1836). Several clergymen of national importance have served the church, including Bishop Daniel A. Payne, who founded Wilberforce university, the oldest black university in the country.
The site was purchased in 1839 by four freedmen of the congregation. In 1848, the congregation was incorporated, the building leveled and a new structure erected.
The present building dates from 1865. In 1893, the exterior was radically altered from English Gothic Revival style to vernacular Romanesque Revival. although the architect is unknown, the builder was B.F. Bennett
The church building is an excellent example of ecclesiastical architecture popular in the late 19th century. A meeting hall was located at ground level; on the floor above was the worship hall where members congregated for services.
1869 view of the church, taken from Sachse's bird's eye view of the city.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, October 2nd, 2014 at 8:26am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 360671 N 4349085|
|Decimal Degrees||39.27993333, -76.61536667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 16.796', W 76° 36.922'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 16' 47.76" N, 76° 36' 55.32" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||410, 301|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 20 W Montgomery St, Baltimore MD 21230, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.