Laurens County was created by Act of Dec. 10, 1807 from Wilkinson County. Originally, it contained all of Pulaski and part of Johnson Counties. Among prominent residents of Laurens County were Gov. Geo. M. Troup and Gen. David Blackshear. It was named for Col. John Laurens (1755-1782), aide-de-camp to Gen. Washington. He fought with gallantry at Brandywine, Germantown, Monmouth, Savannah and Charleston. First officers of Laurens County, commissioned Jan. 14, 1808, were: James Thompson, Sheriff; Amos Love, Clk. Sup. Ct.; James Yarborough, Clk. Inf. Ct.; John Thomas, Surveyor; William Yarborough, Coroner.