George A. Jackson discovered gold near Idaho Springs on January 4, 1859. These were named the Jackson diggings. On May 6, 1859 the Gregory diggings were reported by John H. Gregory near today's Central City and Black Hawk. That area was later to be known as the "Richest Square Mile on Earth." For months Jackson trusted his secret to only one man, partner Thomas L. Golden, whose mouth was "as tight was a number 4 beaver trap." In June 1859, a flash flood at the canyon entrance swept Jackson away as the partners returned to their base camp. Golden stayed with and helped his friend, even though he swore that any minute Jackson would "pass in his cheeks and quit the game for good." Jackson recovered and the men discovered a new town being laid out on their former campsite. Jackson requested it be named after his friend, Golden; his wish was granted. By the 1880s there were five smelters in Golden processing the ore coming out of the mining regions Jackson and Gregory had discovered in the mountains.
Caption: Nathanial Hall and group with gold bricks mined in the area. Courtesy Golden Pioneer Museum.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, October 24th, 2014 at 8:29am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13S E 480930 N 4400786|
|Decimal Degrees||39.75678333, -105.22261667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 45.407', W 105° 13.357'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 45' 24.42" N, 105° 13' 21.42" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||303, 720|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1055-1079 Washington Ave, Golden CO 80401, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.