O.C. Simonds & John Nolen, Landscape Architects
— 1900-1911 —Designed by O.C. Simonds, the founder of the Prairie School of landscape architecture, Madison's first city park emphasizes naturalistic placement of native plant species. The design created lagoons to symbolize prairie rivers and meadows to symbolize the prairie landscape. The lagoons surround a designed island, accessed by five bridges. During expansion (1908-1910) Nolen introduced active elements including playing fields, a sand beach, and playgrounds. The success of the park triggered an era of park philanthropy with residents contributing to additional park development.
|Series||This marker is part of the Wisconsin: Madison Landmarks Commission series|
|Placed By||The Madison Landmarks Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 6:54am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 306970 N 4773852|
|Decimal Degrees||43.09281667, -89.37175000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 5.569', W 89° 22.305'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 5' 34.14" N, 89° 22' 18.30" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1401-1407 Sherman Ave, Madison WI 53703, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.