This cemetery, sometimes called Upper Long Cane Cemetery, dates from 1760. It includes the graves of some of the most prominent families of this area from the Colonial era to the present. The first marked grave is the field stone of John Lesly, inscribed "A.D. 1776." The granite entrance pillars and stone wall were built in 1935 as a memorial to veterans of eight wars who are buried here. The cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
Among the notables buried here are a U.S. Senator, a U.S. Congressman, a lieutenant governor, a Confederate general, several state senators and representatives, judges, ministers, doctors, and soldiers of wars from the American Revolution to the present. Long Cane Cemetery also features many fine gravestones and monuments by noted 19th-century stonecutters such as J. Hall, Thomas Walker, and John, William T., Robert D., and Edwin R. White.