Margaret traces its roots to the Alabama Fuel & Iron Company, which organized in the early 1900s and developed Margaret coal mines under the leadership of its president Henry F. DeBardeleben. Named after DeBardeleben';
s wife Margaret, the town was incorporated in 1959. Margaret's history includes a school system led by Superintendent C. C. Garrison. Principals of the system included Mr. S. J. Dillard and Mrs. Eddie Lee Turnbough Franks. Margaret's first mayor was F. B. Carroll followed L. B. Wilson. In 1967, Mayor Doc Mitchell oversaw the organization of the Margaret Fire Department. In the early 1970s, under the leadership of Mayor Johnny "Sonny" Wilson, the town secured its water system. As the end of the 20th century Margaret experienced abundant growth as many families chose the town as their home. As a result of this growth, Margaret established a new school system under the direction of the St. Clair County Board of Education. Margaret's motto, "Dawn of a New Horizon," coined by fifth-term Mayor Jeffery G. Wilson, provides an accurate account of the town's past, present, and its unlimited future possibilities.