The French crown granted this property in the early 1700's to the Marquis de Mezieres, whose influential family furnished planters, soldiers, administrators, and Indian Traders to the French and Spanish regimes. Maurice Conway, nephew and aide of Spanish Gov. Count Alexander O'Reilly, owned it in the 1770's, and sold it to his nephew, William Conway. Fanchonette Robert bought it in 1799. After 1869, it became associated with the celebrated Louisiana painter, Richard Clague. These structures reproduce the buildings of about 1830.