This Greek Revival residence was built in 1852 for Angel Xiques, and native of Cadiz, Spain, who was a partner in Laborde & Xiques, importers of Cuban products.
This was the Spanish Consulate from 1871 to 1877. In 1884 a gambling house operated here, followed by a cigar factory from 1885 to 1890.
In 1905 the house was to be demolished for a mineral water plant. Instead, it continued as a residence, with bottle storage on the ground floor and a new bottling building in the rear yard.
By 1934, it was a rooming house, with a store on the ground floor and a public garage in the rear.Major renovations of the house were completed in 1964 and 2001.
An earlier building on this site was occupied from 1818 to 1825 by the Orleans Parish Police Jury, the governing body of Orleans Parish.