The ground before you contains the mortal remains of approximately 200 souls who died at the Milwaukee County Asylum / Hospital for the Insane. These burial grounds were open from March 1880 - November 1914. Patients without financial means or family to claim them found a place of eternal peace here. Among them is Civil War veteran, Albert Melms, 3rd Class Musician of the 24th Illinois Infantry.May they, at rest, find the peace and sanity they desired in life.
Between March 1880 and November 1914, a succession of four superintendents had the duty to oversee the Milwaukee County Asylum / Hospital for the Insane. Their administrations are as follows:
· Dr. James H. McBride, March 1880 - August 1884
· Dr. F.B. Scribner, August 1884 - November 1885
· Dr. A.J. Hare, November 1885 - June 1888
· Dr. Moses J. White, June 1888 - November 1914
During Dr. White's long and compassionate tenure of 27 years, many innovative programs were implemented, including proper care and burial of the unfortunate patients who died alone and without family to claim them.