Erected together with the adjacent building at 525 St. Louis Street by Etienne Debon who acquired both properties in 1807 from Jean Etienne Bor?, Claude Gerlie and Joseph Guillot, buiders.
This half of the Debon Building was extensively remodeled or rebuilt by Jean Adrien Delpit, tobacconist, who acquired this building in 1840. He established a tobacco and snuff factory in 1808 and operated here from 1840 until the 1880's, adding the adjacent building at 517 St. Louis Street in 1885. His products, including the famed Louisiana Perique Tobacco, won many state and international awards. His heirs moved to Paris, France, and sold this building in 1889.