The original Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans was chartered by Governor Claiborne in 1804 and its board included Julien Poydras and John McDonogh. The bank was formed after the Louisiana to provide the currency for the citizens of Louisiana to replace the Spanish silver certificates used in the lower Mississippi Valley before the purchase.
In 1824, another Bank of Louisiana was chartered and included four branch facilities, including one in Baton Rouge. The main office was housed in an historic building which still stands at 344 Royal Street corner of Conti Street in the heart of the French Quarter, just six blocks to the north of this Bank of Louisiana. The bank was franchised by the Louisiana legislature to conduct the Louisiana Lottery and, for a while, the bank building served as the capitol for the State of Louisiana.
Another bank was established in New Orleans in 1833 known as the Citizen's Bank of Louisiana which attained world wide recognition and became one of the largest banks in United States. Both bank of Louisiana chartered in 1824 and the Citizen's Bank of Louisiana chartered in 1833 issued bank notes printed in boat English and French. The bank note for $10.00 bore "dix" from which the South acquired the name Dixie.On July 1, 1958, this Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans opened for business on Loyola Avenue corner of Gravier Street in the Central Business District. The main office moved to this location at 321 St. Charles Avenue, in 1982.
This plaque was dedicated on July 1, 1983 on the occasion of the celebration of the 25th anniversary of the Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans.
[Addition to the marker]
In February 1992 the Bank of Louisiana moved to this building at 300 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.