In March 1878, the lavish El Paso Hotel opened on this block. The three-storied, gas-lit, first class hotel featured a telephone and billiard room. It quickly became the major gathering place for city leaders, businessmen, visitors, actors and gamblers. Regularly scheduled stagecoach service from the hotel allowed passengers to connect with trains to the east or take the 1560 mile stage journey west to Yuma.
Additions were made to the hotel and it was renamed the Pickwick. The hotel's name changed to the Delaware in 1891. The Delaware was demolished in 1911, and the seven-story Westbrook Hotel opened on the site. In 1917, the Westbrook's crowded lobby became the center of frenzied oil boom activity. A lobby sculpture was named the "Golden Goddess" because of the many oil deals made around her. The Westbrook was torn down in 1978 and the "Golden Goddess" now resides at the Petroleum Club at 7th & Main Streets.