This was the home and brickyard of the nationally-known brickmaker George H. Black from 1934 until his death in 1980 at the age of 101. Black, the son of former slaves, came Winston-Salem as a child. He worked for the Hedgecock and Hime Brickyard, which gave him a mud mill to use as firewood. Instead, he used it to start his own brickyard and established a reuptation for making traditional handmade bricks of quality and durability. Black made bricks for use in Winston-Salem's finest houses, in churches, businesses, and restorations in Old Salem and Colonial Williamsburg. A sought-after brickmaker across the state and Southeast, black was nationally and internationally recognized for his craft. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.