Goodman GreenIn 1747 this oblong of land was given by Timothy Goodman to the West Hartford Parish of the Congregational Church for use as a parade ground of the local militia company. Still owned by the parish, it is maintained by the town. For nearly two hundred and fifty years it has been the heart of West Hartford, and formerly was surrounded by buildings that sustained the life of an old New England town: the meeting house, town hall, parsonage, academy, district school, general store, post office, and tavern. Its flagpole and descendant of the Charter Oak are symbols of patriotism and political freedom. The green has been the site of many and varied communal ceremonies and celebrations. Here, on May 3, 1854, a throng of citizens rejoiced at the good news that General Assembly of Connecticut had passed an act to incorporate West Hartford as a town.