Historical Marker — Tags

Showing historical markers tagged with French and Indian War

Showing results 1 to 10 of 762
Remains ofOld Moatpart of outworksFort Edward1755
Col. William Preston constructed Fort William nearby in 1755 during the French and Indian War (1754 - 1763) as one in a series of fortifications to protect Virginia's frontier. A group of Indians paid a friendly visit in Oct. 1755, and Col. George…
The Rev. John Steel, pastor of Upper West Conococheague, was made militia captain; and his church, stockaded in 1755, provided protection from hostile Indians. The site is at Church Hill.
Honoring Our Veterans1754 French and Indian War 1763Reuben Hitchcock · Edward Parker · Ephraim Parker 1775 Revolutionary War 1783Asa Bellamy · Justus Bellamy · Reuben Bellamy · Silas Bellamy · Asa Brons…
Arthur Campbell, a military and political leader, was born in Augusta County in 1743. In 1758 during the Seven Years' War (1756-1763), Campbell was captured by the Wyandot Indians aligned with the French and held captive for two years before escap…
Daniel Harrison settled about 1745 at the headwaters of Cook's Creek where it is believed he built the stone portion of the present house. During the decades 1750-1770, when this area was the frontier of the colony, the house served the settlers a…
Known also as the Association Battery, this was Pennsylvania's largest early fortification. Originally built in 1748, shortly after formation of a volunteer military force called the Association, it mounted 27 guns; within a few years it held some…
This gap, just west, is named for Henry Cartmill who acquired land nearby on Purgatory Creek. During the French and Indian War (1754-1763), conflicts between Indians and settlers increased in this area. In 1757, Indians laid waste to several nearb…
Across the Niagara River is the imposing American stronghold, Fort Niagara. Originally built by the French, then occupied by the British, and finally by the Americans, this fort for nearly 150 years stood guard over the traditional supply route to…
The store houses of The Ohio Company were first located near this point. In 1754 the first fort (called Mt. Pleasant) was built. Gen'l Edward Braddock enlarged the fort in 1755 and renamed it after his friend the Duke of Cumberland.
PAGE 1 OF 77