Pioneer Teacher, 1779
John May, first teacher in school at McAfee Station, 1779. One of four Ky. Dist. delegates, 1781, to Va. House of Burgesses. First clerk of Supreme Court, Ky. Dist. and one of original trustees of Transylvania Seminary, 1783. With Simon Kenton, famed frontiersman, he owned land where Maysville, Ky. was established by Va., 1787. It was named for May
Site of stockade built, 1779, by McAfee, McCoun, McGee, Curry and Adams families, 1 1/2 miles west on Salt River on land owned by James McAfee. He and brothers, William, Robert, George, Samuel in 1773-5, marked and improved land in area, 1785. New Providence Presbyterian Church formed. The third church erected by this continuous body stands one mile north.