“The Professor's Cottage”The Professor's Cottage was built in 1898 and rented to a professor and his family for about $125 per year. It was one of the faculty houses owned by the college, which included another cottage that was identical to it located approximately 40 meters away, where the parking lot now stands. Approximately 40 meters from the other faculty building, there was a two-story frame structure called the shack by local residents, which presumably housed married students. The Professor's Cottage is a typical late Victorian raised cottage, that contained six rooms on the first floor. A second floor attic is reached only by a trap door cut into the twelve foot high ceiling. Wide front and side porches feature steamboat gingerbread, so called because it follows the pattern used in the woodwork of steamboats in those days. Sixteen large windows and four outer doors with dormers provided excellent ventilation in the hot summer months. Winter heat came from four fireplaces and the indoor kitchen stove.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 at 4:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 670987 N 3413330|
|Decimal Degrees||30.84083333, -91.21201667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 50.45', W 91° 12.721'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 50' 27" N, 91° 12' 43.26" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2208 Pine St, Jackson LA 70748, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.