You searched for City|State: stafford, va
Showing results 1 to 10 of 105
Benjamin Truslow, farmer, married Lillie Dent, daughter of Frederick Dent and Sarah Knight, on September 10, 1893. Sarah Knight was the daughter of Lewis and Roberta Knight, who owned the log house to the east. Census records suggest that Truslow …
The log house preserved on this site was built by Lewis Knight in the mid-nineteenth century, probably c. 1850, and was situated on an 83-acre agricultural parcel. Lewis Knight share the home with his wife, Roberta, and their nine children; Sarah,…
Mine Road Bridge is dedicated to Frances R. Shelton, a member of the Shelton family, who have been residents of Stafford County for over 236 years. Frances R. Shelton was a dedicated and giving American Legion Auxiliary President from 1996 to 1997…
· First Marine Aircraft Wing organized at Quantico. Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.
· U.S. General McArthur requested 150,000 jungle camouflage uniforms. The splotchy pattern known as "frogskin" was the fir…
· The Navy was assigned Joint-Service (Navy, Marine Corps, Army & Air Force) Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) responsibilities for explosive training, as well as research and development.
· The Basic School (TBS) HQ…
Utilized by Native Americans for millennia, and purchased by the federal government in 1791, Government Island's unique stone was used in the original construction of both the U.S. Capital and the White House. Aquia sandstone from this quarry was …
· Northern part of Quantico inhabited by Manahoac Branch Algonquin Indians.
· Captain John Smith of Jamestown explored the Quantico area and found the Potomac River watershed teeming with fish, crabs, oysters, ba…
· The School of Application reopened with eight students.
· The School of Application closed again as students embarked for the Philippine Insurrection and the Chinese Boxer Rebellion.
In command of a small mixed naval force, on 27 April 1805, he seized the harbor fortress of Derna, Tripoli, and raised the American Flag for the first time in the old world.
Born in Maryland, Bryan and his family settled in the Stafford Courthouse area around 1869. He served as Deputy Clerk of Court from 1869-1871 and from 1877-1885. In 1887 he became Clerk of Court and served in that position until 1911. During his y…