New Jersey: Hunterdon County Cultural and Heritage Commission
Showing results 1 to 10 of 161
Est. 1763 Served Workers from Union Forge. David Reynolds Owner and Builder. Hanged in 1765 by the British for Counterfeiting
Est. 1742.Furnace produced iron ore for the Continental Army, cannon balls, farm implements. Forgemaster's house is stucco building on slope.
Home of Union Forge, maker of early farm equipment, cannonballs for Continential Army. Factory, later known as Taylor Wharton ceased operations in 1971.
Constructed 1859-1865 for the Central Railroad of New Jersey, this 112 foot earthen embankment double arch culvert supports the original bridge from which the Borough of High Bridge is named.
N.J. Central Railroad completed in 1875 to bring iron ore from Morris County to forges at High Bridge. In use until 1976 when the track right-of-way was sold.
Colonel Charles Stewartwas George Washington'sCommissary-General of Issues.The house was built in 1763.
Here farmers burned limestonewhich was crushed into powderand spread on fields to "sweeten the soil."
Congregation organized in 1742 in Baptistown. A log cabin & a later frame church preceded this 1819 building.
Now owned by Unitarian-Universalistcongregation. Present church was built in 1837.
Erected in 1849 at a cost of $400. Used almost continuously until 1953. Accommodated up to 40 students with one teacher.