Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers
Page 33 of 43 — Showing results 321 to 330 of 430
The first significant commercial gas well came in Sept. 15, 1886, near here south of the Mississinewa River and East of the railroad, ushering in the gas boom era. Almeron H. Crannell, a Civil War veteran and later resident of Hartford City, drilled the well.
Mandated by Indiana's 1836 Internal Improvement Act, construction began in Madison 1836. Completed along this site 1843; Elizabethtown platted 1845 as a result of the railroad. Completed to Indianapolis in 1847. Linked Ohio River and interior of state.
Built circa 1888. Occupied by civic leaders (Nixon Winslow, Levi Scott, and Joseph Patterson) who made significant contributions to Fairmount's economic, educational, and cultural development. Patterson was community's medical doctor, 1889-1913. Listed in N…
This Richardsonian Romanesque style structure, built 1900-1902, reflects the area's prosperity during the natural gas boom. The town of Harrisburg had been renamed Gas City in 1892.
Trask, like other pioneer villages, served an important commercial, social, and educational role for early settlers. The post office (1846-1901) marked the start and end of Trask's official existence. As travel improved, such villages disappeared or remaine…
Seth Hinshaw, (1787-1865), well-known abolitionist, operated a station of the Underground Railroad on this site, prior to the Civil War. He also operated a store in which he refused to sell goods produced by slave labor. In 1843, Hinshaw helped erect Libert…
Original site of coeducational United Brethren school founded 1850 as Hartsville Academy by public act of Indiana General Assembly. Campus moved four blocks south, circa 1865; destroyed by fire, January 1898. Many graduates became distinguished citizens in …
Mitchell, Co. F, 27th Indiana Volunteers, is buried in Hartsville Baptist Cemetery. He found Confederate General Lee's "Lost" Special Orders No. 191 near Frederick, MD, September 13, 1862. Union General McClellan then engaged Lee at the Battle of Antietam.
(Front Side)Incorporated and its factory built here 1890. Reorganized 1891; William H. Lincoln then led the company to great success, stressing quality and artistic merit in fine, high-grade furniture. By 1895, production included parlor, library, and tea t…
(Front Side)Construction begun summer 1942 under Captain Stratton O. Hammon, who used broad authority over laborers, suppliers, and railroad; base in use February 1943. More than 1,000 workers employed during construction. Base was over 2,000 acres, cost ov…