Historical Marker Series

Gettysburg Campaign

Showing results 1 to 10 of 26
June 28, 1863, Confederate Gen. Gordon's brigade of Early's division followed this rout through York to Wrightsville. Early's main force remained here until June 30, when it left to rejoin Lee's Army.
On June 30, 1863, General J. Kilpatrick's Union Cavalry, hunting Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry, were attacked here by Stuart. Repulsed, Stuart tried to join early; finding him gone, he marched to Carlisle, failing to reach Gettysburg until July 2.
Men of Gen. Early's Confederate army, detached by Gen Gordon to destroy a bridge at Hanover Junction, passed through Hanover by this route, June 27, 1863. This work done, the detachment rejoined Gen. Gordon west of York.
Confederate troops, sent from York by Gen. Early to cross the river and march on Harrisburg, reached here June 28, 1863. U.S. militia withdrew, firing the bridge and barring any Southern advance beyond the river.
The Battle of Gettysburg began here the morning of July 1, 1863, when Union cavalry scouts under Gen. Buford met Gen. Hill's army advancing from the west. Arrival of Gen. Ewell's army that afternoon drove Union troops to south of the town.
Crossing South Mountain from Chambersburg, Gen. Hill's Corps of Lee's army assembled here on June 29-30, 1863. On July 1, his advance guard moved up from near Marsh Creek and met Union Troops west of Gettysburg.
Over this route Confederate General R.S. Ewell's 2d Army Corps led Lee's invading forces on June 22, 1863. Next day Gen. Jubal Early, under Ewell's command, entered the state to the east, near Waynesboro.
Gen. Jubal Early's Confederate troops occupied Waynesboro June 23, 1863. Next day they marched by Mont Alto to Greenwood, or Black Gap, where, June 25, they were ordered by Gen. Ewell to march to York.
Here on June 22, 1863, the First N.Y. Cavalry attacked the Southern advance force of cavalry under Gen. A.G. Jenkins. Here died the first Union soldier killed in action in Pennsylvania. Corporal William H. Rihl of Philadelphia serving in a Pennsylvania unit…
On June 26, 1863, Gen. R.S. Ewell, with orders to take Harrisburg, marched his army by this road toward Carlisle, which he reached next day. On June 29, he was ordered to rejoin Lee's army at Cashtown.