Plumtrees SchoolThe Plumtrees School was built in 1867 as a one room school house for the Plumtrees District of Bethel. The school served the community from 1867 through 1970. At its closing it was the last operating one room school house in America. The Plumtrees School now serves the community as an educational museum.
· 1866: ? Land was donated by Eliza Benedict for the School
· 1866: ? Plumtrees School was built. At this time Bethel had five school districts. Grades one through eight were taught in the same room. The teacher had to arrive very early in the morning and warm up the building by starting a fire in a wood-burning stove. Quite often the children had to gather sticks for the fire.
· 1881: ? Cupola and Bell were added. The school became over crowded, so the decision was made to increase the building size.
· 1939: ? Plumtrees School Association was formed. The Association-formed by parents-assisted in providing school materials and maintenance. The Association hosted the Plumtrees Lawn Party as a social event.
· 1957: ? School was closed for renovations. For ninety years students used the outhouse and hand water pump, but now electricity and indoor plumbing were added. A new entrance facing Taylor Road was also added at this time.
· 1962: ? School reopened as a kindergarten.
· 1970: ? School closed. A new school in the Educational Park was named after Anna H. Rockwell, who taught at the Plumtrees school for 43 years. The building was used by the Visiting Nurse Association as a children's health care clinic after it closed in 1970.
· 2006: ? Plumtrees School and Landmark Preservation Committee was formed.
· 2007: ? Plumtrees School was placed on the State of Connecticut Registry of Historic Places
· 2008: ? Renovations to restore the school to its original condition began. New wood shingle roof. The original bell was lost and replaced with an 1896 bell that the Plumtrees Preservation Committee purchased. The bell is 20 inches in diameter and weighs about 80 to 100 pounds, and can be heard for miles when rung.
· 2009: ? Plumtrees School is rededicated as an Educational Museum.
This informational sign is an Eagle Scout Project, completed by Brandon Lennox of Troop 71, Bethel CT. It was made possible through generous donations from the community businesses, family & friends. It is dedicated to the Plumtrees School House Preservation Committee and their vision of preserving Bethel's history, July 2009