"Pioneers of the Past - Builders of the Furture"Alphonse Weill came from France to Havilah in 1870 and moved to Bakersfield in 1872, was employed by merchant Jacob Weil (No Relation), and became his partner in 1873. Subsequently Weill acquired the business and named it Weill's Department Store. A brick building replaced the wood structure in 1887 and was rebuilt after the fire in 1889. Weill died in 1946 and the firm was sold in 1952, but continued to operate as Weill's until 1963.
|Placed By||Lawerence & Helen Weill, Bakerfield Bicentennial Committee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 6:05am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||11S E 316662 N 3916648|
|Decimal Degrees||35.37633333, -119.01828333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 22.58', W 119° 1.097'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 22' 34.80" N, 119° 1' 5.82" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||805, 661, 310|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1420 19th St, Bakersfield CA 93301, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.